I don’t want to spend much time on an introduction today because I have a lot to explain.
Last time I left off that God had told both my husband and I to simply ask Him to move our family to Wisconsin.
So we did.
Oh boy we did.
We knew there were all sorts of obstacles to overcome on the way there, though.
First, my husband would have to find a job in Wisconsin. We are expecting our third child, and it’s going to be snowing by November. This momma just isn’t sure she can deal with unemployment on top of that.
Next, we have to sell our home. We know that before we purchased our home it was on the market for over six months. We love our home, and we love the area. We are both acutely aware, however, that not every person would like to live as far away from the nearest city as we do (about 30 minutes drive). This could hinder the sale of our first home.
Some things that we were more confident about were:
We knew we would have a place to stay once we moved, even before we found a new home to rent or buy.
We had to, of course, let my husband’s grandparents know about our plans. We called to let them know that we were planning to move nearer to them. We explained that although we both felt called to the area that we did not have a job lined up, nor did we even have an offer on our home. We asked if they would let us stay with them until we were able to get on our feet. Not surprisingly to us, but to our great delight, they said yes.
Next, we were confident our girls would enjoy moving up to Wisconsin. Although we have family and friends here in Virginia, we also have family and friends in Wisconsin. Our girls, both under five years old, are too young to have any very strong attachments to friends other than those that are the children of mine and my husband’s friends. They still are most attached and bonded to us, each other, their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Moving to a new place will be much less traumatic in that respect than if the girls were elementary, middle, or high school aged.
Finally, we were confident that we would be able to move by the first weekend in September. We still are not sure how all of this will work out, but my husband and I remain confident that our family will no longer be Virginia residents by Labor Day. We know that God confirmed for us several times that we would move early in September, and we trust that He will move mountains for us (and using us!) to make this happen.
On the job front:
My husband had applied to a few jobs at different companies and government agencies with little to no response. Although it was easy to be disheartened, we pressed on, editing his resume again, and looking for new places to apply. We both continued to pray that he would land a job that was challenging and would allow him to provide for our family.
In the midst of these long weeks, specifically on a day where I continually prayed that God would show us what jobs to apply for, my husband’s boss offered him an enticing offer. There may be a possibility for him to work remotely from Wisconsin in the same position in the same company he currently works for. Although we are still unsure that this is exactly where the Lord is leading us, this offer took a great weight off both of our shoulders.
As the date grows closer to my husband having to decide between putting in his notice at his job or taking a work-from-home position, we heard back from an application he submitted at a company in Wisconsin, one we both love and had hoped he would hear from.
**Prayer Request** Between August 5-11 my husband will be having a phone interview with this company. (I will let you know the exact date when we find out). We are both very excited about this opportunity, and we are praying fervently that if this is the position God has for my husband, he makes it abundantly clear. Both my husband and I have applied for jobs at this particular company before, but neither of us have received offers. We both love their methods of business, the way they treat their employees, and their desire to be at the top in their field.
On the home front:
Less than a week after putting our home on the market we had an individual/family look at our home. We heard back from our realtor that they loved our home and truly thought it could suit their needs. They hoped to put in an offer but were unable to secure a pre-qualification for a loan at this time. We have not heard back from this viewing in almost two weeks.
This morning another indivdual/family looked at our home, and we have not yet heard any feedback from this viewing.
**Prayer Request** My husband and I continue to pray that our home sells quickly and at a decent price. I have personally been praying for the first individual/family that looked at our home. I have prayed that they are able to work with a bank to find a home, even one that is not ours, to call their own.
On the transportation front:
We currently own two cars: one very reliable two door coupe and one less reliable four door wagon. Realistically, my husband and I both know the wagon will not make the trip to Wisconsin. It has well over 350,000 miles on it, and although it makes a great commuter car locally, it probably can’t handle a 1,000 mile road trip. We hope to sell this vehicle to some who can use a four door wagon with lots of room in the back. We have loved this car, and will miss its versatility.
Our two door coupe comes with a longer story and a lot more baggage. The car was a gift from an aunt of mine; it was my cousin’s car, and she no longer used it since she got a new vehicle. Tired of it sitting in her driveway, my aunt graciously GAVE the car to us. There was no way we could have afforded anywhere near the fair value price of that car, and we have really felt blessed to drive it. It has great gas mileage, and we are able to fit both car seats in the back. It has served me well driving the girls around town, as well as making trips to visit family.
The difficulty with the coupe is that once we have a third child, we are no longer able to fit our entire family in the car, and having a newborn in a two door car is very challenging. The coupe also has front wheel drive, which will make it difficult to drive in the ice and snow.
We have yet to make any decisions on this car, though we have tossed around the idea of selling it to by a slightly older but still reliable small SUV or newer version of our four door wagon.
**Prayer Request** My husband and I continue to ask that God would be clear with us how we should proceed with our vehicle situation. We do not want to make a hasty move to sell a car that will end up being a blessing further down the line. Instead, we pray that God will show us exactly what to do with our cars: what to sell, what to keep, what to buy.
I thank you all for reading and keeping updated on our journey.
I will try to throw in some fun posts here and there to break up the monotony of our moving saga, so tune in next time!